Example of a wedding ceremony
No matter the tone, theme or number involved, most actual wedding ceremonies follow a relatively similar basic process.
So here is a sample running order of a simple, elegant wedding ceremony that flows nicely and would meet most couples’ needs:
- Bridal Procession: (optional MUSIC) Bridesmaid(s) enters followed by the Bride accompanied by whomever, if she is being given away.
- Opening and Welcome: The celebrant introduces the ceremony and welcomes family and friends.
- Introduction and Background: The celebrant talks about the couple, how you met, or what it is that you love about each other. This is an opportunity to make your ceremony unique and personal.
- Monitom (this is a legal requirement):
“My name is Patricia Quinn and I am authorised by law to solemnise marriages according to law. Before you
- Presentation of the Bride: This may involve the traditional presentation of the bride by parent/s or special person or a blessing, a reading or an affirmation of support from everyone present.
- Reading(s): These can be done by a family member, friend, bride, groom or celebrant. I have plenty of lovely suggestions for personal vows and readings (click here). Alternatively, you can research your own – the internet has masses to choose from.
- The Asking: Celebrant addresses the couple and asks in everyone’s presence if they are prepared to enter into the marriage (this can be light-hearted)
- Marriage Vows: “I ask everyone here to witness that I, [full name of Groom] or [full name of Bride] take you, [Bride] or [Groom] to be my lawful wedded wife/husband”.
The celebrant can read them out for you or read them for you to repeat or make cards for you to read from.
- Exchange of Ring/s: (Other symbols or rituals may be chosen in place of or as well as ring exchange.)
- Reading(s): These may be done anytime during the ceremony and by anyone you choose.
- Declaration of Marriage: The celebrant declares the bride and groom, now husband and wife
- Bride & Groom Kiss: You’ve seen this moment in a thousand films and TV programmes – this is your first opportunity to kiss each other as a married couple.
- Signing of the Marriage Register and Marriage Certificates:
(optional MUSIC) – this usually only takes five minutes. Signatories:
Bride and Groom, 2 witnesses (over the age of 18) and the Marriage Celebrant are all required to sign the legal documents.
- Presentation of the married couple and closing with announcements, if required: Photo opportunity of husband and wife holding the marriage certificate.
- Bridal Recession (optional MUSIC)
NEED HELP? PHONE 0447 001 921 OR CLICK HERE TO E-MAIL ME